The learner will
- Strategize how to minimize food waste
- Explain how to properly store food to make it last longer
- Plan ahead to use up leftovers
- 2.2.3 Demonstrate behaviors that conserve, reuse, and recycle resources to maintain the environment.
- 14.1.5 Analyze legislation and regulations related to nutrition and wellness.
- 14.2.4 Analyze sources of food and nutrition information, including food labels, related to health and wellness.
- Project slide that reveals 40% of food is wasted. What will show first, before the animation, is the question that asks students to guess how many food dollars are wasted weekly of a $40 budget. Have students jot their number down.
- Invite the whole class stand. Click through the presentation revealing one dollar at a time. Have the students take a seat as their estimate is exceeded.
- Discuss with students
- What would you do with $16 extra per week? How much does that add up to in a month?
- Why do you think the waste number is so high?
- What are food waste challenges your family faces?
- What consequences might food waste pose to our society?
- Share presentation with students, elaborating on each point using personal examples and information from Sustainable Table.
- At Date Label Confusion show Adam Ruins Everything – What the Date Labels on Food Actually Mean and discuss:
- “The video says 80% of Americans have thrown something out by the sell by date. By show of hands, how many of you have done that or would have done that?” Calculate the percent of the class.
- Redistribute meal plans from Lesson 5: Plans of Plenty. Have students follow the prompts to plan ahead to combat food waste.
Use the checklist to evaluate if students have applied food waste planning principles to their meal plans.
- GRACE Communications Foundation. (n.d.). Food Waste. Retrieved from http://www.sustainabletable.org/5664/food-waste
- [truTV]. (2017, November 24). Adam ruins everything – What the date labels on food actually mean | truTV [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Rb7T87LJA